Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Man Flu - Early Onset...

Ah, the sweet sound of throw-up.

It's not that the spud has never thrown up, but it has been nearly never. With the exception of one spectacular vomit during the chicken-pox episode and three days of small throw-ups over Christmas when he was 15 months old he's been damn fine at keeping down his dinner.

That is not to say that I didn't know exactly what had happened the second he threw up; despite being in my office in the cellar with the blow-heater on while he was upstairs with his Wednesday nanny and the TV. No no, it may have just been a little sound but it was THAT sound. The Sound Of Sick.

After the ruckus had died down and he was lying, newly clothed and clean on the sofa with a wheat pillow clutched to his tum and a little watered down apple juice nearby and I was back in my cellar getting on with some work, he immediately started working me.

Oh yes. He's not that sick. I spent most of the afternoon hightailing it up the stairs trying to rescue his nanny as he practiced a range of vomit sounds followed by big smiles; or answering wails of 'I Want My MUuuUUuuMMMMeeeeee'(sniff sniff sniff) which were followed by 'Mummy, can I have my car?' and more big smiles.

Tonight he took an hour and a half to eat half a piece of toast while watching endless Charlie and Lola repeats, then begged for chocolate milk and then for about 100 books read firstly by Daddy in French and then by Mummy in English.

Every time I asked him about his tummy he said 'it's better' and every time I asked him to go to bed he would sink pathetically into the sofa and moan a little.

He's asleep now, finally. One afternoon vomit and an entire evening of late night frolics. I actually think that he feels it was worth it.

Tonight, the frog and I both feel a little bilious. The frog is already moaning and lying down with a packet of choccie biccies and a little flat ginger beer.

I'm in for a long night.

9 comments:

cactus petunia said...

Oh, my. At least he's still cute!

Even though mine are all grown up, they still want all the special things done for them when they're sick (and back in the nest again). I wish I were a real wild animal mama. I'd throw 'em out with no regrets. But we humans are more civilized than that, right? Sighhh.

Muddling Along said...

Hope that the man flu wasn't too bad (and you didn't have any more high jinks - Toddlergirl has a simliar approach, very rarely ill but when she is milks it to the max)

Rob Clack said...

Oh come on! How far did the throw it? Isn't it obvious that's all we're interested in? Projectile vomiting is all about distance! There's fame lurking at the end of this thread!

nancy said...

i'm so sorry he got sick. by some miracle (especially in an immediate family of 25 whom we hung with during the holidays, many of whom had some kind of bug), we have managed to sideswipe Man Flu or any other kind of flu bug. *knocking on wood*. i love reading your posts and anticipating what might lie down my road. when i was sick as a little girl, i used to beg my mum to make me bread with hot milk (and a spoon of sugar). she'd just rip pieces of bread up and put them in a bowl of warmed milk (the sugar was also important). she used to look at me strangely and say, "we ate this when we'd nothing else". but i loved the stuff. it was my comfort food when i was sick. thankfully usually only went one way. down the hatch. keep well and happy new year!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Ugh! Sick men are the worst, whiniest, biggest freaking babies ever when they are sick. Of course, I was no angel either when I had the swine flu back in November, so I guess I shouldn't talk.

Sparx said...

Cactus - yes we are indeed... and at the moment the spud is cute enough to make me feel all protective when he's ill. The frog, on the other hand... harumph.

Muddling Along - aha, so not just the boys then! Luckily it was just the once for my boy this time...

Rob!! You make me laugh! Sadly for the entertainment factor but luckily for my carpets it only went into his lap, poor petal.

The B - oh, that sounds lovely, I'll deffo try it when the spud is ill next time. I love bread pudding which is essentially just that with an egg in it, baked.

Lisa, I'm sure you had swine flu with dignity hon!

DJ Kirkby said...

That boy is so clever. xo

Sparx said...

DJ - not clever, DJ, not clever - cunning! It's different, you know...

darth sardonic said...

it's evil genius stuff, really. i have one of those too. keep waiting to discover the hidden lab and the monster built from body parts culled from graveyards.