Saturday, January 09, 2010

Favourite Photo Meme

I have been tagged by ThatGirl39 with a meme to post up my favourite photograph. I thought this was going to be really tough - wedding pics? New baby pics? Something completely unrelated to me but otherwise beautiful?

Nope. When I saw this pic I knew it was The One. I think this is up there among my favourite photographs of all time and before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, there are no real children in this picture. No, the youngest person in this picture is... FORTY THREE YEARS OLD!!

And it's not me; although I am in this picture.


This picture was taken in Somerset, in, I think, the summer of 1972. I was 7, my brother 5 and our best friends (in the middle) were 8. I remember the picture being taken; it was hot, we were playing in our front garden with a blow-up penguin, onto which one tossed blow-up rings to get them to hang on, I think, his nose, or possibly his arms. I have a vague memory of popsicles, or possibly ice-cream.

What I love about this the most is that it says a lot about who we were then and possibly who we are now... Hoto the youngest, butt of pranks, forced to go first into the deep water in case it went over our wellies, tolerating us because he's a nice chap and we were probably the only game in town that day... the twins; Binz, the trickster with the sunshine smile that implied more mischief was coming; Sam, taller, reserved; more graceful and poised than the rest of us and me, the chubby one, playing along, hoping to be liked and pleased not to be the youngest that day...

I love this pic and I love everyone in it. We've been friends now for a time which is quite frighteningly close to 40 years now and one of my regrets is that I didn't get a grown-up version of this pic at my wedding, which is the only time we've all been together in quite a long time.

The things we do as children inform our entire lives; I think of this all the time with my son. I had a great childhood, I just want him to have one too.

OK, in the spirit of Memes, I pass this on to:

the b in subtle who takes simply wonderful photographs; DJKirkby, who might need a lazy Sunday post and who has many evocative pics from her past; Cactus at Buenos Burritos who has another fab photo archive up her sleeve and Jennie at Copenhagen Follies who is clearly a dedicated photographer of her life and Lisa at Boondock Ramblings who is also trigger happy and good at it!

Enjoy, all!

********PS - EDIT ********* Mum - look at my parting!!! How on EARTH did you get it so straight?!!! I have endless memories of you and I battling as you tried and failed to get me to sit still while you created a parting. I swear I can still not get it straight to this day...****************

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sparx, you really know how to reduce your mum to a messy puddle. Don't worry about the Spud, he is loved, disciplined gently and has many friends - he will remember his childhood with happiness.
Mum

Anonymous said...

You are right - why didn't we re-pose this at your wedding??

A great pic - Mum and I remember it well. Would that we could all get together again - along with the twins Mum & Dad.

Anonymous said...

who took the picture - me, Mum, Ceri ,Shelagh???

Sparx said...

Hello, anonymous parental units. I think it was one of you... but honestly I can't remember which... maybe Hoto can?

Anonymous said...

Oh my - Hoto looks every bit himself (yes, I've checked his blog out, now and again) and Charlie is a freakin' carbon copy of his mum anno 1972!!!! Thanks for the tag. Don't have many tangible photos in my possession from my day, I'll do some investigating for this!

Sparx said...

Jennie - I bet you've got some good ones on your puter. You know I hadn't noticed the family resemblance... but I can see it a bit... except I was MUCH more spud-like than he is...

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That's a great post, a fun photo and a wonderful memory. I love hearing about your childhood, growing up with your brother, etc. He seems like a hoot and reminds me of my own brother. (Did I seriously just use the word "hoot". Yeah...I'm a dork.) Anyhow, this was a great one. And wow..you are old. :-) Just kidding!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have a picture a little similar to that. You should have seen what my other did to my hair attempting to cut it herself!
Tara @ Sticky Fingers started this meme. It seems to have spread across the blogosphere at break-neck speed!!

cactus petunia said...

Thanx, Sparx...I'll see what I can come up with.

Love the little halos, by the way!

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh thanks for this. I've already written todays post but will do your meme soon.

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

Fabulous choice. I think old photos are so wonderful - even to those looking in who have no emotional attachment to it.
Thanks so much for taking part. will add you to the gallery I'm pulling together when it's all done if that's OK.
Here's the explanation if you want it (!): http://stickyfingers1.blogspot.com/2010/01/your-favourite-photo-new-meme.html

Chic Mama said...

Those hot summer days of childhood were so blissful weren't they. We used to have the hosepipe running and just sliding in the mud etc...everything seems so complicated now. Suncream, hosepipe bans, lawsuits ( ;0))etc...

Gigi (MumsRock) said...

This made me smile. I have a similar one with my granny's hat on standing in a washing up bowk with an inflatable penguin also. And before you ask it wasn't taken last week, I think it was about 1972 or 73. My Great Auntie Ray was there in a sunshine yellow floral frock too. She was in her Seventies and didn't last much longer. I don't think it had anything to do with that day though. Summers of childhood really are the stuff of wonder.

BOSSY said...

Well isn't that the sweetest thing. Love everything about that photo, not the least of which was the way it was described.

Binz said...

40 years on and you are still one of the most inspiring, awesome individuals I have ever been priviledged to have in my life. Everything you turn your hand to gives pleasure (that may be taken the wrong way!).Your skills as a mother, friend, artist, are exceptional. Charlie, you're a very lucky boy and I (the
slightly rounded one with the cheeky smile)am forever grateful to have you as a friend.

Sparx said...

Lisa - oh ha ha ha, make fun of the aged why doncha! And, are you going to do the tag??

Rosie - bet it's a cool pic - I love old pics of people's childhood.

Cactus, looking forward to your one!

DJ - no worries, only if you want to :)

Tara - this is a great meme, thanks for starting it - I'll pop over soon.

Chic Mama - I know... I'm trying to recreate the old style though...

Gigi - another similar one - I bet there are thousands like this of happy 70's summers... great to see the older ones in those pics, really takes us back in time...

Bossy - thanks Boss! And you're the queen of great family photos too...

Binz - argh, you've made me crack a tear! Speaking of fab friends and great artists though, I don't hold a candle to you love.xxx

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one to "crack a tear" at the response from Binz. What a great time we had in Midsomer Norton - never forget the first meeting with Ceri, Binz' and Sams' Dad.....

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

My only worry about doing this is I can't choose one favorite...who knows...maybe I can twist it around somehow! :-)

baby cribs said...

What a nice photo! I can still remember my childhood days! It was when I experienced to be free from all the stress in the world.

Anonymous said...

Meme done!

Metropolitan Mum said...

I don't know what's more to like - the fabulous picture or the conversation with the anonymous parental authorities.

nancy said...

What a fabulous photo - I LOVE it (love vintage photos and I love the pose and the expressions and the bathing togs!)

Now, how does the 'meme' work (pardon my ignorance)? you want me to post a photo on my photography blog? (i'll likely do it there versus my writing blog). I have to choose one photo and write something about it, is that it? Is there something else to this 'challenge'? Thanks for including me (and for the compliments). Aw shucks!

nancy said...

sorry, I should link my photography blog versus my writing blog. I just need instructions as to what the theme is or if there is one or what the meme means? (I feel pretty dense right now that I have to ask. HA!)

nancy said...

Okay - I've read the original post and got the gist of things. I can't choose a favourite of my photographic work, but I can choose one of my son! So here t'is. Thanks Sparx, for your compliments and your comments! cheers {nancy}

Sparx said...

Anonymous - no tears, remember!

Lisa - it ain't easy, that's fir sure. Going to pop over later and see how you did...

baby cribs - so true, but can't you remember not being able to wait to be a grown up? I can. Can't think why tho...

Jennie - cool, coming on by soon!

MM - The picture I think...!!

Nancy - I love your dithering and sorry for not posting the proper instructions... heading over in a bit (am working at mo!)

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I over nice post. Particularly the designation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Dawn/LittleGreenFingers said...

I want that two-piece!

DD's Diary said...

Lovely picture - greaaaat parting!

Sparx said...

Anonymous - I'm glad you keep coming back, it keeps me guessing!

Dawn - which one - I want one like the twins had!

DD - Ahhh... perhaps you too recognise the eternal struggle between good and evil partings??

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Awww Sparx your Mum's comment made me melt a little. I love the pic but I don't remember what I was going to say because of your Moms Comment :P

Unknown said...

Hi, found you from the 'b in subtle's blog...

Great photo and story. Best of all, that you're still friends now.

Sparx said...

Gringa - there you are!!! Ok?

Mon - nice to see you, thanks for coming by

Sparx said...

Gringa - there you are!!! Ok?

Mon - nice to see you, thanks for coming by