Saturday, January 16, 2010

Cat nip

I've been away. I've been sick. I have a lot of excuses for why I have not been slinking around the internets as much as I'd have liked to recently. My son missed me while I was away. I think. At least, when I skyped him each night before bedtime, the first thing he said was 'you MISS me!'. As he often says things like 'Teddy is scared of the dark' I rather hoped this was a sign that he was going to be pleased to see me when I got home and happily, so he was.

What I didn't expect was how happy the cat would be. Given that he spent the first 16 years of his life with one owner and was at that late age abandoned by death and thrown into a new life complete with a 6-month-old baby, it's hardly surprising that, although he is an immaculately perfect gentlman, for the last 3 years, Sammy has never really shown affection that didn't involve food or warmth.

Recently he's underlined this lack of concern by developing a demanding and highly repetitive one-paw pat whenever the black hole of his stomach needs to have some sort of matter thrown at it. This is the feline equivalent of water torture in which he stabs at whatever part of one's anatomy he has selected (often the face) until one gives in or he begins to slowly, pat by pat, unsheath his claws.

Oddly however (and for the first time) he appears to be genuinely pleased that I am home. It's not that he's rescinded the pat, or even that he's not still demanding 8 dinners a day, it's just that he threw himself at me when I got back and now, once in a while, he comes over for some completely random affection. Just a moment ago, for example, he actually licked my fingers and I hadn't even covered them in butter first.

Perhaps the frog didn't pay him enough attention; perhaps I have better choices in kitty snacks or a slightly softer lap. Who knows? Whatever it is however, it does appear that he has decided that he is happier to have me here than not.


The problem is that the flimsy wall I put up against loving him too much has completely crashed down and now, surely when he has very little time left in the world, it appears I am going to be completely gutted should he decide to shuffle off into the sunset.

I guess it's never too late for love, this life.

15 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Awwww that was a beautiful read and now I'm all teary thinking about how little time our old Werecat has left. She's almost not even anoying anymore (the claw stunt stopped a couple of years ago as did the leaning over our sleeping faces while purring ominously), except for asking for food eleventymillion times a day. She's very fat now, why is your Sammy so slim?

DJ Kirkby said...

p.s. I've done your meme. xo

@eloh said...

You broke my heart a little. I know that useless wall you speak of only too well.

Day-dreaming... said...

Ohh....know this feeling only too well. My dog was just put to sleep last week. Technically not my dog but I've lived with her for 2 years and she's the gentlest dog I've ever seen in my life. I'm glad I had time to say one last goodbye even after writing this entry http://wintaydreamer.blogspot.com/2006/06/dutch-best-doggy-in-world.html

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Rob Clack said...

Ah, pussycats. Can't resist!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Those finicky felines. What a pain in the butt they are!

I just realized I haven't done your meme yet. I have so many ideas I'm having trouble to decide how to do it. THen I got sick and can't seem to kick the fever....well, such is life it seems.

nancy said...

ahhhh how lovely. i've had my second cat now going on 16 years, this after my first cat (same age) died a couple of years ago. he took a while to let me cuddle him and eventually learned to give me kisses. they can last quite a bit longer, Sparx, so perhaps he'll hang in there longer than you think now that he's allowing some love and giving it back! love can do wonders... i hope your adage is true - that it's never too late for love, this life. (I'm hanging on to that hope myself and have surely discovered it by having my baby at 42 finally!) ;)

Sparx said...

DJ - 'purring ominously'!!! Oh yes, I know it well. Sammy is skinny because his thyroid is hyper. His kidneys are also shot and if we medicate the thyroid completely it will kill them dead, so we balance and in general, he's skinny.

@eloh - it's a toughie... those walls... they's only there to fool us, really.

Daydreaming - I'm sorry about the dog, it's a heartbreaking thing to have to do.

Anonymous - you're welcome!

Rob - me neither.

Lisa - no worries about the meme, you get better.

Nancy - I was 41 when I had the spud, nearly 42. Is NEVER too late!

Aunty Em's said...

What a lovely post. We have always had cats and we marvel at their varied moods. We had a cantankerous old she cat who loved no one but my daughter, whom she adored passionately. Now we have two toms who are hilarious and adorable and who, despite my best intentions, have snuggled deep inside my heart

Aunty Em's said...

What a lovely post. We have always had cats and we marvel at their varied moods. We had a cantankerous old she cat who loved no one but my daughter, whom she adored passionately. Now we have two toms who are hilarious and adorable and who, despite my best intentions, have snuggled deep inside my heart

Kim@EnjoyTheRide said...

Ahhhh, cats. They only realise they actually do love you when you leave 'em!

Anonymous said...

Just testing to see if I can leave a comment. Also, is that a spambot I see before (above) me?

Carol said...

Awwww, our cats do the pat on the face thing too and if that doesn't work one of them then attempts to prize open your eyelids with his nose whist the other nuzzles into your ear and then yowls really loudly!! (Bloody cats!!). Still, I love them both dearly and currently have one snuggled up on my knee purring!!

C x

Sparx said...

SuperMom - yeah, it's the cantankerous oldies who'll getcha every time.

Kim - aha, so that was it! Right, must go away more often.


Aliasse!!! Hellooooo!!! You are a Good Blogger and I am a Bad One for visiting... or not... and I have just removed the spamshot (surely something x rated?) so you are now referring to the poor commenter above you. Sigh. (OK, I damn well hope you are who I think you are now having been so flippant).

Carol - whoa... you get TWO of them in your face in the morning? Do you ever sleep in?