Saturday, January 23, 2010

Time for a change...

Both the Frog and I often have work to do on weekends, work or domestic sorting-out stuff and most days he doesn't get home until the spud's bedtime. So, it's not often we get real time just to play together as a family and we've decided to make more of an effort.

Today we took the spud swimming and then to a cafe and then home for a family dinner and it was the best Saturday I've had in ages.

At the pool the spud is usually fearful and tentative but today he threw himself about in the water and not only went out of his depth but actually swam a few feet with his float.

It helps that the view out of the pool's windows is of Brixton train station and every few moments a train goes past; the spud cheers and shouts and struggles to get closer to the window; perilously situated at the deep end. Possibly not the safest way to get one's offspring swimming, admittedly.

After drying out and having hot drinks at a local cafe we trotted home for dinner. First he tried to eat with chopsticks ("grip tightly in one hand, stuff the food between them, wrangle shredded remains to mouth"). Then it became vital to do some dog whistling. I showed him the circled fingers method while the frog demonstrated the four-finger method. The spud huffed stir-fry all over his plate and then tried to stuff his father's fingers into his own mouth at which point dinner was pretty much over.

It's been great. As always however, looking back there is one fly in the ointment of my memory. As we were getting dressed in the pool changing room, I was pulling on my bra when the spud reached up a little hand. "Your boobs are falling Mummy. You need to push them back up".

Ah yes. Only three but already a man.

Next time he gets changed with the Frog.

.

16 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

That's nothing. Boy #1 told me I looked old this morning (admittedly because I had been complaining of it the previous day). He changed his tune quite quickly though when I asked him to repeat the statement... 'new! You look NEW, Mummy!' Great. Just great.

Day-dreaming... said...

That last one had me laughing out loud! haha! Kids say the darnest things!

Anonymous said...

Same here. Actually did stuff this weekend. Went for a walk in Dulwich Wood Saturday - very squelchy - and the Natural History Museum today. Virtue! Enjoyment! Family bonding! I'm WINNING!

Michelle said...

Love having family time! We have to fight for it around our house too. So glad that you enjoyed yourselves!

Sphinx said...

Years ago my daughters told me that my "boobs have responded to gravity, mum". Charming! Gravity is ever present.
Looking after my grandson during the week means that my weekends are usually spent with household chores, grocery shopping, blog drafting etc. etc. I fear my husband gets neglected.

Sparx said...

Potty - that's one crafty boy... was there the chance of chocolate at the time?!

Day dreaming - indeed they do. Sadly.

Aliasse - Ah, that intense need to win... surely I've seen that somewhere before? Seriously, all four of you in Dulwich woods

Michelle - it's a good thing indeed.

Sphinx - Now you are a Granny there are all sorts of opportunities for revenge on those pesky daughters methinks. Certainly my own Mother is finding plenty of ways to pay me back!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh my gosh! THat sounds like something my kid would have said! Haaa! Glad you had a great day otherwise though!

Sue said...

He said that? My god. These kids. I'm still stunned. Mine didn't allow me to wear a sari for his school show, bah.

Muddling Along said...

We so have to go to that swimming pool

That said Toddlergirl was desperate to get over the rope at her class on Saturday in case they had toys because for some reason her class didn't

Sparx said...

Lisa - nothing is sacred, hey?

Sue - seriously? Bhablet had a fashion opinion? Wow, I'm impressed!

Muddling Along - and toys are essential...

Sue said...

Well, he wants me to wear jeans more than he wants me to wear saris. No idea where that comes from but Pintsize is not allowed to dictate my wardrobe in general and I'm never humouring him on this again!

Sparx said...

Well, not bad to have a man with fashion sense - worth encouraging so long as he lets you leave the house in decent clothes!

Sparx said...

Well, not bad to have a man with fashion sense - worth encouraging so long as he lets you leave the house in decent clothes!

Princess Mummy said...

aw made me laugh. Little Prince cottoned onto the difference between boys and girls last week (in the blog) and has spent his time since taking a poll. "do you have a willy?"

Sparx said...

Princess Mummy - I love that he's polling people about this. Have any women said 'yes' just to see the look on his face?

Sara said...

Hi, just came across your site through Potty Mommy and found myself laughing out loud with this post. My son is almost 15 months but has the charm of his father. I can see he will be telling me 'how it is' before I know it.