Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What goes in...

If I have to look at one more thing that's emerged from someone else's body in the next 24 hours I may lose what's left in my own.

We've had two colds in a row, big, congested colds that have Charlie sounding like someone is revving a Harley in his oesophagus and generating so much snot that I've been finding it in his ears. The Frog is sleeping like a chainsaw at the bottom of a well and I'm sleeping with loo-roll up each nostril to stop the Nile running out and flooding the cat.

The only member of this household unaffected has been Sammy but he's made up for that by sicking up his dinner in all sorts of inappropriate places... nothing like hauling a vomiting cat over one's plate and hoping for the best to spice up one's evening.

Anyway, so I've been entertaining my snotty son by letting him help make dinner. Tonight he happily cracked eggs for an omelet and then whisked them the hell over the counter. This morning he helped me make coffee. As soon as he hears the coffee machine or a blender going on he crashes into the kitchen, pushes a stool over to me and yells 'sit down! sit down!' until I hike him up to the counter so he can put his hundred tiny hands into whatever he can reach.

Perhaps this interest in cuisine is why he has been sampling so many new foods recently; which yesterday included escaping into a corner with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. He was, at the time, spending the day at the studio with his Dad, who is therefore entirely to blame for what rolled down the spud's trouser leg and into the close confines of our flat this morning. Happily, this was discovered at the exact moment that his Grandpere connected to us for the first time via Skype. We turned on our video just in time for poor Papi Georges to see his grandson's poo-stained foot being hauled off for a wash, followed swiftly by the pleasure of watching the cat throw up on the empty sofa and no, unfortunately, I am NOT making it up.

Anyway, we're all settled down now and off to bed for the night. Just as I was writing the above paragraph, the Frog blew his nose and the Spud crashed awake with the cry of 'sit down sit down' as though the coffee machine had just been switched on. Sammy hasn't thrown up since 9pm and I may actually make it through the night with a clear sinus, hallelujah.

-------------

Just a little PS for the cat fanciers out there, Sammy is indeed a bit poorly. Could be the thyroid, could be his kidneys, he's nearly 18 and they're currently battling it out to see who can kill him first. My money's on his heart murmur. He is eating again though and we're off to the vet on Friday for a check up.

10 comments:

Ivanna said...

Oh my gosh, Sparx, I'm sorry but I peed my pants laughing. You are too funny! Hope thinks look up soon! :)

Helen + ilana = Hi said...

Could be worse...Spud could have pooped on Sammy or Sammy could have sicked on Spud or in your hair ...........no wait............

Anonymous said...

Oh my, poor things! Had a very nice poo-moment yesterday with my youngest - oh, how I sympathize. Keep up the good humor, as always. Am pulling for Sammy, the old geezer.

She's like the wind said...

Poor Sammy and I'm sorry to laugh but you do tell them so funny, the Frog sleeping like a chainsaw had me in hysterics, I have one of them too!! Hope things improve and soon x

lady macleod said...

OH gods, oh gods, oh gods! I feel so much better! I have been poked and prodded for the past few days and needed a tears rolling down my face laugh - I KNEW I would find one here.
Thank you friend.
The good news is you will all live through it, and if not Sammy - cats have their own heaven this I know.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh and I like the new look!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Ummmm...did my other comment not go through? Well, anyhow, I said how funny the post was and it gave me a much needed pick me up.

I hope nothing else shoots out of the Spud's nose or falls out of his pants!

Rob Clack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob Clack said...

I deleted my first attempt at this comment.

I do find emerging from the other end of a nasty cold (bet you wondered where I was going with that!) just such a wonderful experience. You don't have to be fully well, just no longer at death's door, and it sounds as though you're just about there.

And it's no longer completely dark at 5pm, so spring is almost here, the bulbs will be in flower, the swallows will arrive and you can look forward to a glass of chilled white in the garden of an evening!

Sparx said...

Ivanna - yes, improving already, sorry for the state of your trousers...

Helen... yes yes yes, catsick in my hair... My hair is still suffering though Charlie peed in it the other day when he stumbled off his loo-step...

Jennie - well, they'll grow into big boys soon enough I suppose...

She's like the wind - Oh, I feel for you... the snoring, the snoring, the horror...

Lady M - we shall indeed make it through, and so shall you my dear, I hope you'll be posting some wonderful pics!

Jonny's Mommy - Oh I hope we're through the things falling out of his pant leg but I suspect we've a way to go yet...

Rob - yes, I did wonder what was coming next!!! And yes, miraculously I woke up this morning feeling much better... no so much my boys though, hope you've escaped it.