Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Walter Mitty moment...

Today feels as though it's hardly happened at all. Firstly, I slept in until 11am which was utterly utterly wonderful. Then I raced into town to buy birthday presents, we raced to a pub in North London for birthday drinks, raced home and now the spud is being raced into bed by his father and I am in my fancy new lounge suit racing down a gin and orange.

It's not been without it's little stresses, today. Given that I was running late with my present shopping I drove to Brixton (I know, there's no excuse) and it turned out that about 1000 other people had had the same idea and there was no parking.

I was driving slowly up my favourite Secret Parking Road when I noticed a car on my tail. Near the end of viable parking I pulled over, let her pass and started to turn around for another cruise past the spots. As I was pausing to let a car through in the opposite direction, she, having turned around on the sly, steamed past, forced the other car to pull over and raced into the lead. I cursed her as foully and as inventively as I know how (and believe me, when it comes to sordid invective, I worked for 6 years in a biker bar and Know What I'm Doing) when she found a space and cut into it at top speed.

I pulled into a spot about 50 feet up the road and walked towards her car still fuming, wondering if I had the guts to actually key her car (as if... I can't even throw rubbish that I've picked up from the street into someone else's bin) when I saw that she was still trying to park her jalopy into her precious little space. I strode past, pausing only to smirk and raise an eyebrow at her in as cutting as manner as I know how.

I know. Steer clear of me, I might eyebrow you into submission.

6 comments:

Helen + ilana = Hi said...

I can vouch for the whole biker bar thang. And the half shaved/half spiked hair thang. And the taking care of the sick older woman thang. Yep alzhiemer's hasn't claimed that little memory yet..... but really don't you wish it would?

Helen + ilana = Hi said...

p.s. whose b'day is it.... spud or frog??? Cause we both know yours is OVER!

Oh look my word verification is "dinged" but that's not what you did to Her car .... right?///

Sparx said...

Hi Helen! Yes yes yes, you remember me well - although I did I miss your spiked hair daze?! It was a friend's birthday, not any of ours... and I would never in a million years ACTUALLY damage someone elses car, but for a few tainted moments it really felt possible...

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oooh..never worked at a biker bar but have worked at small town newspapers, which seems to produce similar language situations.

Love the new look you've got going on. You're getting all fancy or something. It is freaking me out. :-)

Love that shot of you and the Spud!

Sparx said...

Hi hon! Thanks, I was just bored of the whole old look... but too lazy and non-technical to move to a schmancy fancy new platform! The shot was taken last week by some visiting friends, I really love it.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't scoff at the power of your eyebrows lovely cousin of mine... paired with a stunning pair of cheekbones - you can most certainly get your point across.
~Cx