Friday, November 09, 2007

the sleep

So here's the thing. Since we got back, the spud has been manfully trying to get himself back on schedule but it’s just not happening. Resultantly, I am also not back on schedule, however work waits for no man (or, apparently, woman) and so I seem to be operating in two time zones at the same time. Greenwich Mean Time, and plain old Mean Time. So, I am not posting. I’m just trying to stay awake, day after day.

The lovely DJ Kirkby passed me an ‘I love your blog’ sticker which I of course am sticking up with pride. I’d like to pass it on to quite a few people, forgive me for not putting up the links just now, I’ll come back and do it when I can see straight… but for now, here’s three blogs I love: Bossy, Mountain Mama and Braveheart Does the Magreb. These are only three of about 12 blogs that I visit regularly and love to read and about 10 more that I dip in and out of. I’d be a blogoholic if I had more time and energy, as it is I’m lucky to get into each of them once a week, sometimes less. Anyway, thanks for your blogs, all of you. Here you go:



The spud is sleeping and is likely to be up in a few hours if the past week is anything to go by so I am going to bed. He has a massive molar coming through right now – well, two in fact but only on is poking like Vesuvius under his gum and about to commit GBH on his mouth. I’ve dosed him on baby pain killers and packed his gum with teething gel and this has worked but the poor thing has been miserable today. There’s nothing more pathetic than the sight of one’s baby bravely standing up and trying to walk while bawling his little eyes out and cramming his hand in his mouth. Makes one go all weak at the knees. We surmounted the problem by snuggling up on the big bed together this afternoon resulting in a dangerously long and late nap for both of us which was heaven, but possibly a contributing factor in his inevitable 4am wake-up call. This I suspect will also end up with him in our bed. Sleeping in the big bed has become a ‘thing’ since coming back from Canada where he slept with me due to lack of cot facilities (why I didn’t make him a floor nest I don’t know, I am obviously challenged) and he does get rather irked if he’s not invited over for the 4am equivalent of tea and cakes, ie, a bottle and a snuggle.

See you on the other side of dawn.

8 comments:

jenny said...

Oh what a treat to come here today and see a little blog-love from you for me! Thanks a bunch!

I don't know if you've tried this, but when my girls were teething, I let them gnaw on a cold wet washcloth. Not one of those thin ones, but the thick towel ones. Wring out the water, plop a bib on and let him gnaw away. It eases the pain and at the same time, helps the tooth break through the gum. Worked for my girls, anyway.

Good luck on getting back to normal sleep hours! :o)

Sparx said...

Hi Jenny! You're welcome!

Oddly, the spud was chewing on a wet washcloth today - just shoving it in his mouth. I'd just used it to clean his face though so I took it away. Tomorrow, I will give him one he can keep. Thanks for the great tip!

Anonymous said...

I'm almost embarrassed by all the blogs I follow. And some of them, unlike yours, don't even know I read them. I spend too much time every day checking up on them. I really need to get an RSS feed...

KJ said...

Oh no.
WE went to Canada to visit relatives when OUR spudlet was 6 months old. When we left home, he was sleeping through the night in his own bed. Canada changed all that. The three of us shared a bed for 10 days, and he never slept alone, or through the night again. We haven't been back to Canada since. Maybe that's the trick - go back, reverse it, come home, sleep!

Sue said...

Hey Jenny, thanks for the tip.

Sparx, I feel like I've been on a long, long holiday all October. It's only now that I'm catching up on my reading. Sorry to hear about Charlie's messed up sleep. Poor spud, can't be easy being an intercontinental traveller, and him only one and a bit.

:)

The Bhablet is off on yet another journey tomorrow.

Sparx said...

Kat - just saw your comment, sorry for the delay... OMG though, it sounds dreadful! We've been told to take him away for a couple of days to break the new routine... maybe going back WILL help! Thanks for dropping by!

Sparx said...

Sue - thanks for coming by, I'll have to pop over and see where you've been with the bhablet. Good to see you, hope all's well.

Sparx said...

PS - Jenny, the washcloth worked a treat, great tip.