Sunday, February 21, 2010

Indigestion...

We had one of the Spud's best friends over for a playdate yesterday. They see each other infrequently now that the Spud has left the wonderful-but-far-away Montessori nursery where they both went and is now at the less-than-wonderful-but-close local nursery, but they are still great mates and I am very fond of his Mum, which is always a bonus.

There's always a sting in the tail when we see this particular friend because, although he is lovely and gentle and funny and bright, having continued with Montessori, he can write his own name now. Yes, I know. No no, same age. Exactly yes, born on the same day even. Sigh. Anyway so on Saturday during lunch he was lecturing the spud on what was going to happen to his fish fingers, because he now knows that food goes into the mouth, down the gullet, then into the stomach, through to the little intestine, into the big intestine and then comes out as poo. The spud was fascinated. I nearly ate my hand in envy (wouldn't fit down my gullet...).

I have never wanted to be one of those pushy parents that force information into their offspring but, er, it is quite cool to, you know, watch kids learn stuff. And stuff. So, today when he was complaining that his tummy hurt I took the opportunity to remind my Spud of those things his friend had told him.

I reminded him that he had a full tummy AND a full intestine and he might need to do a poo, something he's managed to avoid for a couple of days. This resulted in him doing a series of fairly alarming stomach contractions. Thinking he was going to make himself ill I asked him what was wrong and he said "Nuffin. I'm trying to make my poo flat so my tummy doesn't hurt."

A little information. A dangerous thing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome is it when they put 2 and 2 together?! And FUNNY!

And I SO get the being-slightly-envious-of-smarter-kids-thing. I love every ounce of Cooper's being, but I suspect that he will grow-up to be a bit like his father . . . terrible 'street smart' but not so much with the books. And it isn't that I am jealous of the smarter kids - it is that they will forever be the kids that things just come easily for, and Cooper? Probably not so much.

Flat poo . . . too cute!

Sparx said...

Fishsticks - oh, you're so sweet about Cooper - you never know, he might surprise you! Charlie seems less bright than most of his friends but I like to think it's just his command of language getting in his way - he'll catch up, I'm certain for both our boys.

Not From Lapland said...

It always makes me feel a little as though i am failing when kids of the same age are smarter. i know in my head that it doesn't matter and they all progress at different speeds etc but still...you know...

Iota said...

That is hilarious!

lady macleod said...

I think Spud is coming along brilliantly thank you very much. Once he gets the "flat poo" maneuver perfected I think he can move right along to particle physics!

I love that boy. I'm still smiling...

Sparx said...

Heather - it doesn't matter in the slightest, it really doesn't! Hard not to worry though isn't it?

Iota - I know... I've never much been one for 'kids say the funniest things' type posts but actually... er... maybe I am after all that...

Lady M - now THAT would make me happy... a nice particle physicist in the house to talk to me about God and Higgs Boson and other geeky things in my dotage...

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

OMG that's like totally smart right? I mean, he's a kid so he doesn't know it can't work that way so really, . . . well that's just smart! LOL funny lil tater :)

Anonymous said...

Making poo flat. Of course! I wish I'd thought of doing that in time for my first post-natal crap...

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I told Jonathan his belly has been hurting because he won't poop. I said "Your belly is full of poop!"

The next morning he woke up and crawled with me in bed, sat on my belly, poked it and said "Your belly full of poop too?"

Little.....

Anyhooo...I'm going to try this method with him..maybe it will explain how his poo comes out and he'll poo it out more often!

Sparx said...

Gringa - 'tater' !! Tater tot... you crack me up...

More than - argh!!! You've made me laugh and choke at the same time!!

Lisa - good luck... is sort of working with Charlie...