Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Getting his own back...

We've had holidays. We had my brother and sis-in-law to Biarritz for a few days which was knock-down brilliant. So brilliant that I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy being happy. Oh, and I forgot my camera.

If you were that interested, you could go here and scroll down to September 16th to see a little bit of the sort of holiday we had (and a lot of the sort of holiday Hoto and Shell had in Paris afterwards!). There's more Paris on Shell's blog too...

I have been heavy with anticipation about this holiday. It's been a while since my brother and my son have seen each other and I warmed up the spud with photographs and videos and stories about Hoto and Shell for ages. It worked too, he greeted them, knew who they were and showed off his toys to them relentlessly.

Best of all, after nearly 3 years of training him to blow a raspberry at my brother, he finally blew it. (You think I'm kidding? Go here). This made my day.

I tortured my brother when we were children, I have to admit it. I lay in wait around corners, told him there were bodies under his floorboards, hid under his bed and grabbed him with ghostly hands and best of all, valiantly attempted to soak his hand in warm water while he slept in an attempt to get him to wee his bed... the look on his face when he woke up is apparently nothing compared to the guilty look on mine...

So anyway, I am really trying not to be the sort of Mother that I was a sister, if that makes sense; and rather than turn my fiendishness on my own son I was thrilled to watch him make his first move on continuing the legacy that is the ritual trickery of Uncle Hoto.

Sadly, it seems the spud is not completely on my side as yet. One evening as we were getting ready for bed, he marched up to my brother and said in his loudest possible voice 'Mummy has the burps!"

"Oooh" said uncle Hoto... "Does she?"

"Yeth" responded my little treasure. "And she farts!"

Oh yes. That was some evil chuckling I heard coming out of my sibling.

I sense, bearing down on me inevitably, a future in which my brother slowly gets his own back...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, sibling bullying is just the best. My older sister and I used to force-feed our younger sister (then aged 4) an entire pint of milk, then turn her upside down and shake her to hear the milk sloshing around.

Nicola said...

I have a much younger brother who always used to idolise me. Now my boys just idolise him - and tell all sorts of 'tales' which bear no resemblence to the truth whatsoever... Boys. They all stick together, irrespective of a mother's love. It's a tough lesson to learn. And yes, I think the age of your brother gaining an upper hand is drawing near.

Helen said...

Oh yeah, I had the same sort of relationship with my sister. Now she tortures me by getting the kids so wound up when she visits that it takes me two weeks to calm them down! She also has them do or say evil things to me, like ask for ponies. ("But Mommy, Aunt Khaki says you used to have a pony! Why can't we have one?")

My sister definitely has too much fun with my kids. Watch your back when your brother is in town!

A Modern Mother said...

I still remember my brother pretending to be a ghost and coming into my room.... horrible...

As for bottom burps...

Carol said...

I have no siblings but my husband was tortured by his sister when he was growing up. He adored her and was always made to play the part of the patient in their Doctors and Nurses games...she gave him a glass of vinegar and told him to drink his medicine..he was very sick and even the smell of it causes him problems!!

C x

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh no. No fun at all when your little one rats you out to your brother. Argh!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Revenge is sweet. He may start telling you there are bodies under the floorboards!!

Michelle said...

So great to be with family! I loved seeing Hoto's pics.

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

OOooooo Karma! Ok and omgomgomgomgomg how insanely cute was that youtube???? *faints*

DJ Kirkby said...

I used to throw garter snakes at my brother. Tsk.