Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Happy 3rd Birthday


I think I say it every year, but it still seems impossible to believe that my son is another year old - three years today. If it wasn't for this blog I swear I'd have forgotten the lot.

Today has been the first birthday that he's really understood and we've been winding him up for it for a week now. His party is on Saturday but this morning we woke him up with his presents and he was so sweet.

He's not yet at the stage where all he wants to do is to rip the paper off each one until he's done, he was quite happy to open one present and play with it for ages before we demanded that he open the next one. In fact, I think he was more excited about having cake then about anything else and by bedtime he was singing 'Happy Birthday' to himself on endless repeat.

What I love about 3 is that his imagination is in full gear and he can play for ages by himself making up stories and playing all the parts. I was working in the cellar this morning while the Frog looked after him and he was calling 'come on Mummy, hurry up, come on Mummy'. I shouted at him that I was working and was about to yell up for the Frog when my beloved other half called down 'it's ok, he's playing that we're all getting on the airplane and you're late'. The words 'as usual' hung unsaid in the air, obviously. This year we and the grandparents bought him a huge selection of Playmobil toys from eBay (have you seen the PRICE of those things new?) and he was thrilled to bits. Little bits, as it turns out, which is what most Playmobil is made of. We have a massive envelope of tiny accessories which he might get when he's 12. Or maybe 20.

3 has benefits other than the purchase of expensive toys however. It's nice that we are able to reason with him a little now and his powers of verbal communication are coming on stronger every day. Recently he's been going off the playground and instead we have been having hour long explores around our local park; clambering into the bushes to play 'Bear Hunt' and walking around each of the sports areas watching people play. He is minorly obsessed with the cricket bowling nets and when there was a chap the other day bowling endless balls at the test wickets he made me sit down and watch for ages. I had to pull him away after he started commenting very loudly 'YAY, well done!'... 'Uh oh, he missed it!'.... 'He missed it AGAIN'... 'He missed it AGAIN'... the cricketer started muttering very loudly so we slunk off.

These explores have done marvels for the powers of elderberry wine as we've collected enough berries for nearly two gallons of the stuff. We've also been picking blackberries although only once have we saved enough to come home with any - mainly he just gets a purple face and a big grin.

3 is a good age. He's cuddly and loving and beginning to sleep in; he's funny and cheerful and happy and disobedient as all fuck, which means, I suspect, that he is a perfectly normal child.

Happy birthday angel boy, we love you.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! :) x

Anonymous said...

Awww - lovely! Glad to hear it's not just my child that won't listen, was considering a hearing test! Congrats with him. Love the hair!

Sue said...

Aww, happy birthday Charlie boy! I'm glad you had such a nice day. We caught a movie last night and there was a Charlie in that too. :)

And Sparx, "disobedient as all fuck" about sums it up. *sigh*

Elsie Button said...

Happy happy birthday to charlie! glad he had fun. i agree, it is a totally magical time this stage, where you observe their little imaginations ticking...
x

Buck said...

Hey Happy Birthday! May this be your best year yet!

Ju said...

Such a lovely age. Happy birthday to the little one.:)

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Charlie!! I always am amazed when I realize how long I've been reading peoples blogs. I remember the first birthday post!!

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like lots of fun he had. E is 2 1/2 and he seems like such a big boy now... He is looking lovely :)

Cara said...

Awe, Happy Birthday Charlie! Again, i could have written this post word for word... especially the "disobedient as all fuck" part... it's mind numbing at times!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Happy birthday, Charlie. We sure have loved watching you grow..and grow...and grow some more. Three is a great age. Jonathan will be there in two more months and like your mum, I can't even believe it! Have a blast, cutie!

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

He's THREE !!!! OMG and he's so big! How have I watched him grow for 3 years on this blog!?

"he's funny and cheerful and happy and disobedient as all fuck, which means, I suspect, that he is a perfectly normal child."

Awww that's so sweet. :)

Happy Birthday !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Spud! I have so enjoyed "watching" you grow these past few years through this blog. What a wonderful boy you are!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Charlie! He has grown into such a handsome little boy - I can't believe it has been three years! I hope you all have a wonderful day and enjoy the party!

DJ Kirkby said...

Awwww Happy Birthday! Wow...3 years old already? x

Maternal Tales said...

I could have sworn his birthday was in Jan. I must have been hallucinating. But that's even better seeing as I've lined him up for Edie and she's much keener on older men! Happy Birthday gorgeous boy x

cactus petunia said...

Happy birthday, you little Virgo!

My son's one, too...and don't say I didn't warn you to batten down the hatches. You're in for the ride of your life!

Iota said...

Three is a lovely age.

Thinking Cramps said...

Hi Sparx, wishing you a wonderful year ahead with the 3-year old Charlie. I am back at your blog after ages and was amazed to think the little one I first started reading about is already THREE!